Andrew McAfee, associate professor of technology and operations management at Harvard Business School, has five recommendations for IT managers:
- Provide a forum or platform where employees can collaborate and communicate.
- Set up an enterprise wiki and demonstrate it to influential people within the company to help drive interest in using it.
- Set up internal blogs for all employees and incorporate them into internal directories so users can see who has a blog.
- Try setting up an enterprise social bookmarking system so users can see what sort of content their colleagues are tagging on the Internet.
- Be in on it from the beginning by making sure the right infrastructure is in place.