Best practice suggestions from Walter R. Washburn III in gantthead.com for project team Wikis in the project management world:
- Position wikis as transient authoring environments.
- Know your audience, tailor communications to that audience's needs, and stay narrowly focused.
- Consider the risks that arise from easy publishing by a wide range of authors.
- Closely related to the points above, keep your project site and wikis behind the company firewall.
- Train and familiarize your team with the need to be aware of their wiki resources.
- Establish some technical expertise on the team.